I think America has gone off the cliff. The evidence:
- People dying from lack of health insurance.
- Insane military expenditure.
- Disgraceful public discourse.
- Shocking level of unemployment.
- Systemic political corruption.
- Wanton ignorance (i.e. poor education).
- Two wars.
- Bombing raids with high "collateral damage".
- Cruel prisons.
- The death penalty.
- Abuse of secrecy.
- Spying on Americans in America.
- Cover-up of previous administration high crimes.
- High murder rates.
- Huge social injustice.
- World’s biggest polluter.
- Privatised military.
Therefore, the American political system is broken, probably beyond repair for the foreseeable future. But political junkies and journalists must continue to believe in the system to some extent. Or they have cobwebs in their eyes.